Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Night at the Movies

Welcome to another installment of rapid review, where I rate some movies that I have seen recently, as well as movies from way back when:

Knight and Day

An action, adventure, and comedy starring Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. This is a pretty entertaining action flick. Now, I didn't say it was the greatest action movie, or the best movie in general, but it was entertaining. One that I would perhaps watch again, but one that I definitely would not buy. Rent it, enjoy it, forget about it.

Tron

A great video game back in the day (basically the game of snake with opponents, but cooler because you are on motorcycles in the future). The sci-fi action movie starring Jeff Bridges and Olivia Wilde did the best they could with what story they had to go off of. The movie did not really get stellar reviews from many, but I actually really enjoyed it. Maybe it was because it reminded me of the feeling of watching Saturday morning cartoons, I don't know. It had some fun action scenes and some great music. I liked it.

Sydny White

Another Amanda Bynes movie. That pretty much describes the movie. Her movies are funny and are good for a laugh. This movie actually was not as great as some of her other movies, but it made for a good night. The story is roughly based off of Snow White.

Copying Beethoven

Drama starring Ed Harris and Diane Kruger. The movie is about Beethoven in his dying days and a female copyist. It was a very well done movie, and similar feel to Amadeus. Although it was a good movie, it felt long and by the end we were ready for Beethoven to die.

Melinda and Melinda

A movie with an intriguing story concept, the movie written and directed by Woody Allen fell short of my expectations. It is a drama comedy starring Will Ferrell. It tells a story two different ways; one telling of the story is a drama and the other is told as a comedy. Great potential, especially with Will Ferrell in it, but it just fell short.

Scoop

Woody Allen redeemed himself with Scoop, a comedy mystery where he actually has a big role in the movie along side Scarlett Johansson and Hugh Jackman (both fantastic). This was actually a really enjoyable movie, it dragged its feet sometimes making the movie slow at points, but it was a great movie!

The Hunt for Red October

A fantastic movie that came out around 20 years ago based off of a Tom Clancy novel and starring none other than one of my favorites Sir Sean Connery as well as Alec Baldwin. I recently bought a VHS copy of the movie from DI, because I saw it and said to myself, "self, you have wanted to watch this movie for a long time...just buy it." I'm so glad I did. A classic that belongs with all the other classics such as The Fugitive. Also, I have had submarines on the brain because I just finished reading "Blind Man's Bluff" (come back and look for my review on it soon).

Dan in Real Life

I love this movie! This is one that is on my to buy list. Starring Steve Carell and Juliette Binoche, this is a fantastic romantic comedy. I really don't know what to say about it, other than the fact that it is a great movie. Steve Carell does a really great job in this movie. One that I could watch again and again.

Mulan

A Disney movie that came out in 1998, I include this in the many reviews because I have watched it recently and it is pretty much one of my favorite Disney animated movies, if not my absolute favorite. Eddie Murphy as Mushu and Donny Osmond singing. It has some of the greatest and most enjoyable songs out of all of the Disney movies, and it has lots of great action and lots of laughs. Good stuff.

Preview of Upcoming Blog Posts

Upcoming blog posts include: review of "Blind Man's Bluff" (a book), new Cornelius Fly comics and a special archive post of the original comics that started it all, reviews on board games such as Dominion, Carcassonne, Citadels, Hive, and Power Grid, more movie reviews including reviews on Despicable Me, Megamind, and special movie posts dedicated to the different superhero movies and all of the sequels (ie. the Superman movies, the Batman movies, the Spider-man movies, the X-men movies, the Iron Man movies, and the upcoming superhero movies), television show reviews of Smallville, Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy, The Office, Outsourced, The Sing-Off, The Simpsons, and How I Met Your Mother.....

There will be many more reviews and much more commentary. Also starting soon, I will be keeping you all informed of Superman and his current walk across America (stay tuned)!

And that is How Lou Sees It.

No comments:

Post a Comment